TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swollen Ankle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pedal pusher
New

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:54 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Swollen Ankle Reply with quote

Hi, Doc.

Yesterday I clipped a tree and was knocked over, pinning my right ankle under my bike. I was able to continue riding without too much discomfort, except for unclipping.

As soon as I got home though, the outter ankle, around the ankle bone area, was very swollen and very tender. I put ice on it, elevated it and took some Motrin, which didn't seem to help, and as of this morning, the swelling has not gone down and it's still very tender, but not bruised.

I was wondering how long I can wait for the symptoms to relieve before going to the doctor. And would wrapping it in an ACE bandage help? My foot feels like it's too heavy for my ankle.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:38 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedal Pusher:

Point tenderness under the swelling is worrisome; it may indicate that you have a broken bone. The type of mechanism of injury could easily have broken a bone or severely torn a ligament. Get to the doctor as soon as possible, do not weight bear on the ankle and get some crutches for getting around on. Continue the resting, ice, compression wrap and elevation (RICE), If it is a sprain, these kind of precautions will help in the healing process. If it is broken, these precautions can help prevent a minor break from turning into something far more serious and further delay the healing.

Thanks,
pedal pusher
New

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:19 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Doc. I really don't want to go to the doctor, but I guess I have to Crying or Very sad . I'll call right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: