TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I have joined the broken clavicle crew.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the toninator
250+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:53 am GMT +0000    Post subject: I have joined the broken clavicle crew. Reply with quote

I have a workout plan but don’t know when I should start. I broke it last Saturday and the bones stayed together. How long does it take for the bone to set and when can I start the trainer work outs?
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:54 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toninator:

You can get on the trainer now. Raise the handlebars to help decrease the pressure and weight bearing on the fractured clavicle side. If you hit a health club that has recumbent trainers, this will not be an issue. Heck you might even think about going out and attacking Le Alpe D'Huez. I hear some tough riders with newly broken clavicles can even win on it! Wink Fractured claviles take about 6 weeks to heal if they are stable fractures which sounds like yours is. The key is let pain be your guide. If you find what your are doing hurts too much back off. Wait on off road riding for the full 6 weeks to allow the clavicle to heal, as a spill can re-fracture it easily while it is still healing. I learned this the hard way with motorcycles from years gone by. Embarassed

Thanks,
the toninator
250+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:09 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks I’ve already got the recumbent style spin bike hooked up. I’ll start doing that in the next day or two.
I’m not sure about the alp but I did bike the 5 miles from the park to the ER, do I get any tough buys points for that?
Schroeder
250+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:26 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

the toninator wrote:
thanks I’ve already got the recumbent style spin bike hooked up. I’ll start doing that in the next day or two.
I’m not sure about the alp but I did bike the 5 miles from the park to the ER, do I get any tough buys points for that?

on a scale of 1 to 10, it rates.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
brokinator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:47 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please just the thought of having to do that would have you running for the safety of your vestibule. The pain wasn’t so much it was the grinding of the bones that was freaking me out.

tt
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:03 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

the toninator wrote:

You get a 9.5 on my scale. It goes to 10 if you road home from the ER! Very Happy

Thanks,
the toninator
250+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:56 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bike Doc wrote:
the toninator wrote:

You get a 9.5 on my scale. It goes to 10 if you road home from the ER! Very Happy

Thanks,

woohoo i get a 10!!!!!!!

btw i felt the bone this morning and it feels really weird. theres a boney lump right around where the fracture is.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:39 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boninator:

You are now a callused man! That boney lump you feel is where the bone is healing and a thickened new bone formation, called a callus, develops over the fractured area. You are on the mend! (But don't go crazy yet, give a full 6 - 8 weeks heal before you take up sky diving!) The callus will gradually get thicker and may persist throughout your life giving evidence of how callused you really are. Wink Since I busted my clavicle twice just 6 weeks appart, I am quite a callused individual, too.

Thanks,
boneheadanator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:35 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for sll your help doc

Tex Mex
New

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:33 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, Tony. I have broken mine twice. The first one healed good, although it remained non union to this day. However the second time was bad. So even though it had been 2 years between the two, I would recommend not breaking the same one twice.
Good luck. And let Pam and I know if we can help in any way.
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:42 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your break looks pretty clean. I can only compare it against mine which broke in two places and looked like a lightning bolt. I eventually had to get it pinned.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:44 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

if that xray is yours then you do not havea broken clavicle you have a grade 4/5 A/C seperation and I would seek and ortho consult...your clavicle may need to be screwed back down to your acromion to prevent shoulder instability
the toninator
250+

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:06 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teamortho06 wrote:
if that xray is yours then you do not havea broken clavicle you have a grade 4/5 A/C seperation and I would seek and ortho consult...your clavicle may need to be screwed back down to your acromion to prevent shoulder instability

Thanks Doc mark! I went to a popular Ortho here. He re-Xrayed it (that picture is a bad pic of the Er xray) and still felt it was a break.
We monitored it and everything has come out great. 3 weeks ago i did a full lap at Flat Rock Ranch then we went over to Tap and did a lap. For the whole day i only had a little discomfort.
Then 2 weeks ago we did a lap through Bastrop and Buscher SP's then a full lap at RHR, no real problems.
This past saturday i did 4 laps at Tap with no pain or discomfort excpet the discomfort from getting shelled off of the back of the pack on a pre-ride :p
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: