TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

shoulder separation and bruised ribs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigdaddy
100+

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:53 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: shoulder separation and bruised ribs Reply with quote

hey bikedoc

I was doing a group road ride and someone decided to take me out about two weeks ago. went to the ER and the doc says I have a level II shoulder seperation (left) and bruised ribs (left side) confirmed by x-ray. I have that pretty golf ball lump on my left shoulder. However, it has gone down some but from what I've read and been told, it will be here with me for ever.

I've been trying some shoulder movements for about a week now and i can move it around most of the time with limited assistance. I can't lift anythng more than a few pounds. Anyhow, I was cleaning my bike today and I get a sharp pain going down the left side of my back along the shoulder blade area. I believe it was due to stooping down too much.

What can I do to do my own therapy to help the healing process for my shoulder? (been doing ice and heat) Anytime I try some stretching (shoulder) it puts pressure on my ribs so I try other shoulder movements and anytime I have to lift my shoulder it creates more pressure on my ribs? It seems anything with my shoulder, my ribs prevent me from doing much if any stretching or shoulder movements.

I'm tired of sittin around getting fat. What can I do to help my healing process?
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:17 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigdaddy:

1. Get a 12 oz. bottle of Bitter End brew, but keep the cap on.
2, While standing up, hold it by the neck with your fingers, so it is held staight down from your hand.
3. Lean to your left so the arm hangs like a pendulum and the brew like a clapper in a bell.
4. Now slowly rotate the arm so as to make clockwise circles for 10 circles then repeat counter clockwise for 10 cirles.
5. Stand up staight and slowly raise the arm straight out form your side to your comfort level of pain tolerance, then slowly lower the arm back down; do 4 -5 reps.
6. Next slowly raise the arm straight forward to your comfort level of pain tolerance, then slowly lower the arm back down; do 4-5 reps.
7. Next slowly raise the arm straight bacward to your comfort level of pain tolerance, then slowly lower the arm back down; do 4-5 reps.
8. Put brew back in the fridge.
9. Repeat 2-3 times a day.
10. At the end of the day, go back to the fridge, retreive the Bitter End.
11. Place brew in your left hand.
12. Pop the cap.
13. Sit down in your easy chair
15. Hold the brew in your left hand with the arme extended on the arm rest of the chair.
15. Slowly raise the bottle to your lips and take slow sips then lower the bottle back to the arm rest.
16. Do at least 30 repititions raising, the bottle, taking slow sips, lowering the bottle, savoring the brew, then swallow.
17. Repeat steps 1-16 for a case of 24 brews over 24 days.

This should help keep you from getting forzen shoulder (formation of scar tissue binds up the shoulder movemement). As you shoulder heals you should be able to increase the weight you use in your hand and gradually increase the elevation of your left arm getting to the point were you can raise it progressively higher.

If at any time, the pain gets worse, there is decreasing range of motion, then pop the top on the Bitter End, consume contents, call a friend and get him to drive you to your doctor for further evaluation.

Thanks,

Last edited by The Bike Doc on Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:59 pm GMT +0000; edited 2 times in total
Racer-ette
250+

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:36 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and like the good Doctor you are, you know your patient. Smile

A woman and her bike,
It's a beautiful thing.

Caution: Slow Expert... uh Cat 1 Ahead
bamwa
New

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:52 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this post is old but can I use steps 10-17 as preventative maintenance? Very Happy
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:09 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, BUT, it is a case every 24 days, not a case a day! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: