TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Injured Shoulder and Hand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clayswt
New

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:17 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Injured Shoulder and Hand Reply with quote

Hey Bike Doc,
Thanks for taking the time to help us often injured MTB riders!!!!

I got two questions for you......about 2 months back face planted off a large rock ledge out at Rock Springs in my cat 2 race. When I put my hands out to brace my fall I felt a pop and thought I broke something. Turned out it was my should that made the sound as it slipped in and out of the socket. I was able to finish the 18 mile course after I was about half way through. The shoulder was sore and all movement hurt but it has gotten much better but I still have some pain on the top of the shoulder when I lift my arm straight up into the air. I never went to the doctor and after 2 months with the pain still there do you think I could a have a major problem that needs to be addressed?

Next question, after waiting for shoulder to get better I didn't race in the Series until this past weekend at Ruston. I had never ridden the course before and on the last long downhill going about 25 mph and I hit a sharp lip that through me into the air and rolling on the ground uncontrollably 4 or 5 times. I'm all skinned up on every knee, elbow and ankle with a nice strawberry on my hip. But in the crash I injured the top of my left hand. It swelled pretty bad on top but after a week that has mostly subsided. The area that was hurt is the top of the hand on the knuckle of my pointer finger. My glove had a small rip in the in the index finger and the finger has a cut on it. It’s still pretty sore and hurts when I use my have to grab and twist something, like a door knob. I'm thinking I sprained that joint when the index finger hit where the cut is. After a week it’s pretty sore and still hurts, I'm wondering if I have a crack in the bone on the top of the hand or knuckle. With swelling subsided do you think an x-ray is inline or should I give it another week to see if it gets any better?

Thanks again for your help, it is greatly appreciated!!!

Clay
Darryl R
100+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:35 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

not the / a doc, but I JUST got over a broken bone in my hand (well, technically, I have 1-1/2 weeks left of doctor's orders, "don't fall off your bike for another 3 weeks").

My symptoms were not unlike yours. Swelling so that I couldn't distinguish where my knuckle was. Pain, but not severe. More pronounced pain as I tried to grip something. I thought I had likely dislocated and relocated my knuckle all in the same crash.

Turns out I spiral fractured one of the metacarpals (the bone that extends from the wrist to the knuckle). It had to be splinted for three weeks so it wouldn't "displace" and then require surgery.

Go get it x-rayed.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:26 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clayswt:

Have you thought about taking up shuffleboard?

The shoulder sounds like you had a dislocation and likely a shoulder seperation that makes it more prone to repeat dislocation. If you are still having a hard time raising your arm above your head you should visit an Orthopedic doctor.

In regards to the hand, Daryl R is pointing you in the right direction. You likely have a fracture to the hand from the impact. The clues are the local point tenderness persisiting a week later and the focal damage from the impact to the glove over the area that you hurt. Again, get thee to an Orthopedic doctor. Hand fractures should not be ignored.

Thanks,
Clayswt
New

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:48 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info bike doc......looks like I don't have to take up shuffle board after all. Went to the doc and the x ray was negative on the hand, he said that knuckle isn't cracked but that there was probably some damage to the tendons or ligaments in that knuckle and that's why the pain persisted. It been about 5 months since the wreck and the knuckle is still a little sore, especially if my finger is moved too far in any direction. But the most obvious/painful direction is down like when you pop your knuckles. I can only push it about half way down. I've been told that since there isn't very much blood flow to the area it will heal very slowly. Any ideas on anything I can do to get it to heal faster??? Heat, ice, exercises, supplements, nothing but time?

Thanks!!!

Clay
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:57 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay:

Hot soaks (no too hot to scald 105 -110F max) or heat packs to the hand to increase circulation may help. There may be a component of post trauma arthritis setting in and gently flexing and extending your fingers while it is soaking or the hand is under the heat pack may help. Avoid nonsteroidal antiinflammatory durgs such as ibuprofen, naproxen and aspirin, because these medications impeed new blood vessel growth.

Thanks,
bamwa
New

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:43 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bike Doc wrote:
Clay:
Avoid nonsteroidal antiinflammatory durgs such as ibuprofen, naproxen and aspirin, because these medications impeed new blood vessel growth.

Thanks,

that's good to know. question though, do knuckle joints need or experience new blood vessel growth anyway? wouldn't all the required blood vessels be there already?
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:10 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is damage to the microvessels in the joints, and they need to regenerate, the NSAIDs can inhibit this regeneration.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: