TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chihuahuan Desert Bike Fest 2019 Cancelled

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Other Mtn. Bike Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Bill
Mr. Bill

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:54 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Chihuahuan Desert Bike Fest 2019 Cancelled Reply with quote

Chihuahuan Desert

Bike Fest 2019 Cancelled

Howdy to all Chihuahuan Desert Bike Fest supporters,
It is with sad regrets that we, the CDBF organizers,
will not be hosting the Chihuahuan Desert Bike Fest in 2019.

Mountain Bike event history in the Big Bend goes back to the late 80’s, and after three decades of racing, we decided to celebrate our passion with a festival starting in 2011. The weekend of rides and festivities came together to expose mountain bikers to the wonderful trail riding throughout the area, and we have been successful beyond our wildest hopes and dreams. Alas, more riders attended then our allotted cap of 500. Area resources, from venues to delicate trail environments to emergency services, were overwhelmed by the attendance.

That said, we look forward to riding with all you fine folks throughout the season of October through April. The Big Bend Trails Alliance will continue to maintain, build and advocate our beloved trails through your generous donations. THANK YOU to all the long-standing sponsors, participants and volunteers that came together to celebrate Mountain Biking in the Big Bend!

See you on the trails!

The Organizers of the Chihuahuan Desert Bike Festival

https://bikefest.desertsportstx.com/
Tobin Behling
TMBRA Board Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:53 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the opportunity this past weekend to sit down and talk with Crystal Albright & Mike Long - masterminds behind the mountain bike racing that has been happening in the greater Big Bend Area since the late 1980's through the fun mountain bike festivals that have been happening in recent years.

The Festival was truly cancelled due to true concerns that it had outgrown the available area resources (EMS/Water/Electricity/ect).
In another thread someone had made the point about other events that occur out there that are significantly larger - that is true, there are other much larger events. But I think the difference is that the staff/volunteers that made the bike fest happen are locals or part-time locals and truly feel that it is important to have a balance and not overburden area resources / infrastructure. Too much of a good thing can sometimes not be good.

Crystal & Mike understand that people are likely to come out and ride anyway. They encouraged me as I talked to others about going out there to ride, to pick a weekend other than Presidents Day weekend to help spread the impact out over other weekends. And so I'm honoring their request and will be picking a different weekend to go. I hope you do too.

I spent this past weekend out there and got some great rides in with good friends and look forward already to the next time I'm able to get out to the desert and ride!

Viva Big Bend!
Mr.Bill
Mr. Bill

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:55 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought…
Having a bike race would only need volunteers for one day.
Remember the good ol’ days?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoDR_bWQ3Vc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Other Mtn. Bike Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: