TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bruised tailbone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynn
New

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:54 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Bruised tailbone Reply with quote

Hello doctor, I had a fall a couple of weeks ago. At fairly slow speed on the road bike (fiddling with my iPhone) I took a tumble and landed on my rear on the pavement, just slightly above where the glutes provide the most padding.

I had a bruise in that area that has since subsided. At this point I can ride my bike fine in Zone 2-type of workouts, but sprints and hard efforts uphill are painful, basically anything above 400 watts that really requires torque still hurts quite a bit. My 0-10s power curve is pretty flat as a result. Off the bike, jogging up stairs or lifting heavy things is still pretty uncomfortable.

Is there anything I can do to accelerate recovery? Are the sprints that are part of my training plan slowing down recovery or can I safely ignore the discomfort and take something for the pain?

Thanks in advance for your reply, hope you yourself are feeling better.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:44 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your tail bone may be more than just bruised, you may have a broken the coccyx (tail bone) given the mechanism of injury, the landing and the duration of your symptoms. It takes 6-8 weeks for a fractured bone to heal and the broken bone can easily be rebroken during the healing time (BTDT EEOOW!!!). The tough part about getting it to heal quicker is to get off your arrs. Riding is going to put pressure on that healing bone and make more prone to refracture. Look at doing alternate exercises that do not have you sitting on your buttocks. Do some weight work in the gym that does not have you sitting, do swimming and do light jogging on a soft surface like beach sand, a soft surface running track or grass but not on pavement or concrete. When you sit, get yourself an inflatable donut or an inflatable neck pillow to sit on to allow your coccyx a breather from taking and sit upon loads. And I hope you don't have to take any long plane trips with your fractured coccyx (BTDT2, double EEOOW!!!). You should plan on 6 weeks of resting your arrs before getting back on your arrs.

Of course if the pain gets worse, there is numbness or weakness or no improvement see medical attention (the necessary disclaimer to keep the ambulance chasers from give me a pain in my arrs).

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: