TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Food intake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtn_biker17
New

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:36 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Food intake Reply with quote

I use commuting for my training. 50 miles a day 25 there and 25 back. How many calories should I be taking in. Some days are high intensity, were as other are not. I don't feel like I am taking in enough. I also hate fish, is there something else I can eat instead of fish.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:56 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Protein Sources Reply with quote

Mtn¬_biker17:

My apologies for the delay. I have been on call and buried in hospital work for the last two weeks.

Food intake needs to be adapted to the food likes and dislikes as well as the cultural morays of the individual. Much is made about the benefits of eating fish but having lived on the Gulf Coast as well as in the heartland of the midwest, good fish is dependent on finding fresh fish which is extremely difficulty to find anywhere well removed from the sea. If you don’t like fish, don’t sweat it. There are many other good sources of protein both from animal and vegetable. You don’t have to go overboard on high protein intake. The human only needs about 25-30 grams (about 1 ounce) of protein consumed for each kilogram (2.2 pounds) of lean body weight per day. Training athletes do no need much more than 30 grams/kg of lean body weight/day. So save your money by not buying high cost protein drinks (which, to my taste buds, are quite unpleasant). I have listed some options below many of which are quite affordable:

Lean beef from range fed cattle (grass fed not grain fed), not feed lot cattle. Feed lot beef is high in saturated fats and low in Omega 3 fatty acids. Grass fed beef on the other hand is low in saturated fats and high in omega 3 fatty acids.

Chicken minus the skin which holds much of the fat.

Eggs.

Dairy products such as cheese, milk and yogurt. Go with low fat or nonfat if you are trying to limit fat intake.

Lamb.

Pork.

Beans, lentils (legumes) and nuts eaten with whole grains such as whole grain rice, barley or whole wheat products provides all the essential amino acids required to make muscle. If the legumes or whole grains are eaten completely separated by several hours and not eaten at the same meal, the full complement of essential amino acids will not be available to make muscles. If there a deficiency in an essential amino acid in the food consumed, the muscle building cannot be completed like a chain with a link missing.

When I am ramming through a day and don’t have time for a proper meal, I make my own low cost, protein energy drink that taste darn good to my taste buds.

1/2 cup nonfat yogurt
1/2 cup 100% cranberry juice
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons canola oil (sounds gross but is completely tasteless)
1 cup frozen fruit (strawberries, raspberries, or whatever tickles your taste buds)
Blenderize on medium speed.
Have some whole grain crackers or a whole grain roll on the side and you got yourself a high protein, high fiber, high energy drink loaded with omega 3 fatty acids with some slow burning complex carbohydrates on the side to give you a steady glucose source.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: